Information for Prospective Students
How to Apply to a Program of Study
We strongly recommend that prospective students email us to share their area of research interest prior to submitting an application. A letter providing the following information will be helpful in determining if our programs are a good fit for you.
- What is your research experience? Please include details and your roles in projects you have been involved with.
- What are your goals and aspirations?
- What specific areas or research questions would you like to pursue?
- If you have had a mentor, tell us about your work together.
- If you have identified a mentor at UVM, tell us why you want to work with him/her.
- What is missing in your experience that would be enriched by this MS or PhD?
All applications for admission are submitted online, and can be found on the Graduate College website.
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Vermont Resident Status Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Application Fee
- Requests for three letters of recommendation to be completed through the University of Vermont Online Recommendation System
Request documents be sent to UVM Graduate College:
- GREs, MCATs, or USMLE scores*: The UVM Institution Code for test scores is 3920
- * Required for an applicant with a degree from an unaccredited institution or international applicant who is applying to a MS or PhD program.
- * Required for an applicant considering or applying for UVM funding (i.e. assistantships, fellowships, trainees, etc. Scores must be submitted with application to be eligible for funding.
- TOEFL: the test of English as a Foreign Language when applicable
- Official Transcript: from all post-secondary institutions attended