Snow Days and Other UVM Closures
At UVM, the President determines whether the campus will close in an emergency. If the President closes the University, Foundations classes, Bridge and Clerkships are cancelled and essential activities will be rescheduled. Students at remote educational
sites are unaffected by UVM closures. For questions about attendance during inclement weather or other emergencies at remote affiliates, students should contact the local site director. Advanced Integration courses at UVM or The University of
Vermont Medical Center with no clinical responsibilities are also cancelled when the University is cancelled. For Acting Internships held at The University of Vermont Medical Center, students should check with their service to determine whether
they should report. Some other Advanced Integration courses may also integrate students as an essential part of a clinical care team, so if in doubt, students should check with their service to determine whether they should report. Students can
get automatic notifications about emergency closing and other UVM official notifications using the CatAlert System.
CatAlert is UVM's rapid emergency notification system. CatAlert's goal is to help keep UVM as informed and safe as possible during emergency situations.
Instructions for Students
- On the web, navigate to the UVM Student Records self-service application.
- Navigate to "Student Records."
- Navigate to "Update Emergency Broadcast Numbers."
- Use "Insert New Number" button to insert as many emergency broadcast numbers as you like. For each number, specify if you want to receive text messages or voice messages at that number.
Applicability of the Policy
All Medical Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
5.7 Security, Student Safety, and Disaster Preparedness
- 5/20/2014 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/17/2020 Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Director of Curricular Operations)
Previous | Next