Care and Disposal of Sharps
- "Sharps" containers (i.e., rigid needle disposal containers) should be in all examination rooms, patient rooms and procedure rooms for convenient and safe disposal of needles, scalpel blades and other sharp instruments immediately following use.
- Needles and other sharp devices must be handled with extraordinary care and concentration. The primary user is responsible for safe disposal.
- Needles must be immediately disposed of in a “sharps” container and may never be recapped, purposefully bent, broken or removed from disposable syringes.
- Needles from IV tubing or from non-disposable syringes should be removed with a clamp and disposed of in a "sharps" container.
Applicability of the Policy
All Medical Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
12.8 Student Exposure Policies/Procedures
- 5/20/2014 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/17/2020 Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 4/26/2022 Policy Edit [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 2/21/2023 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Student
Previous | Next