Invitations to Outside Speakers
Individual students, student interest groups, and/or student leadership groups may invite individuals from outside the University to speak or otherwise participate in academic activities. Such invitations are encouraged as they enrich the academic
environment and learning community.
To ensure appropriate scheduling and coordination in the Larner College of Medicine, students must work with their faculty/staff advisor to coordinate outside speaker visits. Thus, students or student groups interested in inviting guest speakers
to the College must work with their faculty/staff advisor and the Larner College of Medicine Event Manager to obtain advance permission to issue the invitation to speak, and to establish an effective marketing plan for the event.
Faculty, staff and students involved events involving outside guest speakers must adhere to the University of Vermont Campus Speakers policy in addition to the procedures outlined herein.
If an honorarium is required, in adherence with the University’s purchasing procedures,
event hosts must coordinate with the Office of Medical Education’s Business Manager to submit the following to Purchasing Services or the Office of the General Counsel for review prior to execution:
- Completion of a Speaker Engagement letter outlining the presentation details
including title, date(s), time (start and end), venue, technical/equipment requirements and videotaping/photography consent
- Agreement obtained regarding payments for speaking fees and/or travel expenses
- Completion of an independent contractor form
- An up-to-date W-9 form
Additional information regarding speaker engagement procedures may be found on the UVM Division of Finance & Administration Speaker Engagement & Services Agreement Templates FAQs webpage.
Applicability of the Policy
All Medical Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 7/16/2013 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 5/15/2018 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 9/18/2018 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 12/17/2019 Policy revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 10/19/2021 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Student Services Coordinator)
Previous | Next