Faculty from across the University of Vermont’s Larner College of Medicine gathered in the college’s Sullivan Classroom for the Teaching Academy’s annual Induction and Award Ceremony on January 11, 2023. The event marks the start of the annual Snow Season Education Retreat, which took place at UVM’s Davis Center on January 12-13, 2023. (Find more information about the 2023 Snow Season Retreat here.)
Faculty recognized with 2023 Teaching and Educational Excellence Awards include L. E. Faricy, M.D., assistant professor of pediatrics; Bronwyn Bryant, M.D., assistant professor of pathology and laboratory medicine; Molly Rideout, M.D., professor of pediatrics; Anthony Williams, M.D., assistant professor of family medicine; and Cynthia Forehand, Ph.D., professor of neurological sciences. Faricy received the Innovation in Curriculum Development or Pedagogy Award, which recognizes an individual or team who developed an approach to teaching and learning that is innovative, intellectually rigorous, and engaging. Bryant was the recipient of the Learner Assessment Award, which recognizes an individual or team who created assessment activities and demonstrated a commitment to the culture of assessment within the course, clerkship, or program. Rideout was honored with the Educational Scholarship Award, which recognizes an individual who has demonstrated a record of quality, quantity, and engagement in medical education scholarship. Williams received the Outstanding Contribution Award, which recognizes an individual who has made a significant contribution to medical education either for a specific, short-term initiative, or a sustained contribution. Forehand, who also serves as dean of UVM’s Graduate College, was honored with the Frederick C. Morin III, M.D., Educational Leadership Award, which recognizes an individual who has demonstrated an exemplary and sustained record of service in educational leadership, committee service, and/or administration.
All Larner College of Medicine faculty are eligible to be nominated for these awards and must be nominated by Teaching Academy members, department chairs, or key education leaders. Nominees are not required to be current members of the Teaching Academy.
The event also featured the presentation of UVM Health Network Medical Group Education Awards. Awards and respective recipients included:
- UVM Health Network Medical Group Education Grant - “Building a Sense of Belonging and Improving Mentorship Skills: An Interprofessional BIPOC Mentorship Program for Health Professions Students” - Principal Investigator (PI) Anisha Rimal, M.D., Assistant Professor of Pediatrics; co-PI Miller Celestin, RN, MSN, CEN, CMSRN, Clinical Instructor of Nursing
- Graduate Medical Education Educator of the Year - Clara Keegan, M.D., Associate Professor of Family Medicine
- Continuing Medical Education Educator of the Year - Jennifer Kelly, DO, Associate Professor of Medicine
In addition, the event featured a ceremony marking either the advancement of existing Teaching Academy members or the induction of new members. Those recognized include the following faculty members in the Fall 2022 cohort:
- Anjuli Bagley, M.D., Assistant Professor of Radiology
- William Copeland, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatry
- Joanne Astill-Vaccaro, M.D., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Leigh Ann Holterman, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Delia Horn, M.D., Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Sara Pawlowski, M.D., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Hibba Tul Rehman, M.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Katelyn Shea, M.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Devika Singh, M.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Maya Strange, M.D., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Aaron Wallman-Stokes, M.D., Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Caroline Jirka, M.D., Clinical Instructor/Resident in the Department of Surgery
- Aurasch Moaven, M.D., Clinical Instructor/Chief Resident in the Department of Medicine
- Amy Schumer, M.D., Clinical Instructor/Fellow in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
(Pictured in web banner image, left to right) Teaching Academy inductees Astill-Vaccaro, Jirka, Jennifer Covino, M.D.,* Pawlowski, Strange, Moaven, and James Wolf, M.D.* (*Spring 2022 cohort) at the 2023 Induction and Award Ceremony.