Gender Equity Initiative
The Gender Equity Initiative seeks to increase the representation, advancement, and workplace satisfaction of women identified community members and other genders currently underrepresented at the Larner College of Medicine. Through education, recognition of achievements, and advocacy, the Gender Equity Initiative seeks to foster a safe, equitable, and just work environment for the benefit of all community members.
We understand that “gender equity” is not a “woman’s issue.” It affects everyone in our work environment, and all voices are necessary to achieve our goals. We understand that inclusive and equitable teams stimulate and propel our work in medicine and science and know that structural and cultural barriers exist that impede advancement based on gender. Through education, recognition of achievements, and advocacy, the Gender Equity Initiative seeks to foster a safe, equitable, and just work environment for the benefit of all community members.
- To promote equitable career advancement and professional development for women-identified and non-binary faculty, staff and students
- To assure that women and non-binary people attain senior faculty and staff ranks and leadership roles at LCOM.
- To critically examine recruitment, retention and promotion of faculty and staff by gender
- To review LCOM policies and benefits that affect gender equity (such as family leave, flexible work schedules, onsite childcare) and makes recommendations to increase family friendly policies at LCOM
- To develop mentorship and networking opportunities for women-identified and non-binary faculty, staff, and students
- To bring awareness of the importance of gender equity and gender-based biases to the LCOM community
- To assure that the LCOM environment is safe and free of gender harassment
- To recognize outstanding achievements on the part of LCOM women-identified and non-binary faculty, staff, and students